Thursday, July 12, 2012

It's Her Birthday!

We partied hard Tuesday night. Party as in celebrating SEVEN special birthday people in one evening.

Bessie , er, B, was agreeable, and joined in on the fun this year since her birthday is TODAY.

12 years old.

Acts like she is 23 {I think she is even starting to dress like a mom---Shhh! Don't tell her I said that!}.

We decided to make her a birthday cake on Tuesday to take to the big birthday bash. She has this thing for zebra stripes, so I got online to find some easy peasy way to make zebra stripes on a sheet cake. Yeah. There is not an easy peasy way to make zebra stripes in my world. All this talk about fondant... Um, fondant? Not for this rookie cake artist. One blog advised to perhaps pipe the border of the zebra stripes, and then thin some icing to fill in the stripes. Hm. Okay.

Off to Kroger we went. Alas, we could not find any black food coloring, so I asked her if it would be okay if we made some neon pink zebra stripes--you know, like a "Princess Zebra", right?  B thought that should be fine. Great, glad we got it settled.

We trucked it back home, and by this time it is nearing 3:00, and the party was to start at 6:00.

We mixed up the icing, and  B got it all neon looking {folks, neon is like totally cool these days is what I'm hearing}.  Decided to make blue zebra stripes instead of pink. Slathered and splattered the pink icing all over the cake, and realized... my cake decorating skills aren't so hot.

Around the same time, B told me we should probably nix the zebra stripes.

Not a bad idea.

Yep, we'll just do swirly thingamajigs instead.

B did the top border. I'd like to blame the messy bottom border on her, but nope, that was me. Seems there are a few things I could learn about decent cake decorating.

In the end, we had fun, and who cares if the cake was messy, because it was super duper yummy if I say so myself. All thanks goes to our dear friend, Betty. Betty C., that is.


A few faces of B modeling her neon-zebra-stripe-turned-swirly-things cake.

This particular birthday girl does not lack expression.








And...Personal Favorite. 


Oh my! Oh me! Would you just LOOK at that ghastly bottom border? Look at it.
{In my defense, Mr. Fly DID drop a lid on top of it before the party started.}


Wannabe Aerial Shot:



Happy Birthday B! May God bless you with many, many more happy days! 





2 comments:

  1. I say you need to start a cake making business. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that cake looks rather scrumptious! ...and youI had funto which isis the mosttime important part! And the cake decorating looks dandy! ......maybe bc of the lack of detailed shots :) happy birthday,B!

    ReplyDelete